Search

Friday, May 13, 2011

Nasi lemak and Indian food=)

Cold, wet and gloomy..A day like today was a three in one package for misery. You have no idea how much I miss home. If only all it took was a snap to be on the next flight to KL. It's been a while since I've been to my favourite mamak for nasi kandar..it's been even longer since I've eaten road-side nasi lemak..GAHHH desperate for some real food! Without wasting anymore time feeling sorry for myself, I decided to get cooking..and was cheered up :)
Indian beef curry, brinjal chutney and fish cutlets

And of course, Nasi Lemak to go with everything=)
My brothers and I were very pleased with how the rice turned out. It was grainy and coconutty just the way it should be. The curry was spicy, full of aromas just like the ones in tze mamak stalls..*Score* I particularly enjoyed the fish cutlets..they were so tasty! and I was quite surprised because I had actually forgotten to add in any salt. Indian food is awesome..right Rae? yeahh=)

The great thing is, everything's easypeasy to make.. For the coconut rice, cook your rice like how you do all the time but replace half the amount of water with coconut milk. Then, add in a reasonable amount of salt before cooking it.. And of course, for many of us coconut milk will come from a can..I managed to find "ayam brand" here in melbourne..

Fish cutlets
500g basa fish, boiled and flaked
250g potatoes, boiled and mashed
1 large onion, chopped
a thumb sized piece of ginger, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
a handful of chopped coriander leaves
2 green chillies, chopped
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 teaspoon cumin powder
1 egg
oil, for frying

Mix all the ingredients except tze oil together, using your hands if you need to (i did). Form into palm sized patties. Fry on both sides till golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh hahhaha so delicious makes me to miss home more! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete