Search

Friday, April 20, 2012

Beetroot Cake


I think Beetroot is one of those love it or hate it foods. 
Love
This cake contains beets like a carrot cake. Nonetheless, it doesn't have an obvious beetroot punch..Just a warm earthiness..Kind of like what cinnamon does. It's like as if there's some kind of spice in it, but you just can't make out what it is.
The surprising thing was the cake batter, which had the most lovely Purple Dinosaur colour to it. Yet it baked out to be yellow-brownish (man, I wished for it to be purple)
I reduced the amount of sugar by half as beetroot is already quite sweet. So adding sultanas was a nice sweet fix.
I'd definitely make this again the next time I have an extra beetroot hanging around.
I don't think I'd purposely buy beets just to make this.
It's wonderfully moist and keeps me wanting more of it.. It just slides down so easily!


recipe:
300g beetroot, peeled and grated
250g butter
1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs
3/4 cup sultanas
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda

Preheat the oven to 180C
Beat the butter and sugar until its light and fluffy
Beat in the eggs one at a time
Add in the sultanas and grated beetroot
Sift in the flour and baking soda
Fold the mixture well.
Pour the batter into an 8 inch round tin lined with baking paper
Bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour.
Cool before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment